Michael McLaren is a partner working out of the Vancouver and Toronto offices of Thorsteinssons LLP. He is also a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
Michael’s practice focuses on corporate and international tax planning, regularly advising Canadian and foreign-based multi-national groups on a variety of matters, including: inbound and outbound investment and financing; mergers and acquisitions; divestitures; restructurings; and natural resource taxation. Michael acts for a number of Canadian and foreign-based multi-national companies that operate in the following industries: natural resources; real estate; aerospace and defence; paper and household products; pharmaceuticals; financial services; e-commerce; media and entertainment; broadband and industrial engineering.
- B.Sc., University of Victoria (Genetics/Mathematics)
- LL.B, University of Western Ontario (concentration in Taxation; Thorsteinssons Award in International Tax Law, Stikeman Elliott-Carswell National Tax Scholarship, Law Society of Upper Canada Prize)
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Member, CBA-CPA Joint Committee on Taxation (Contributions: 10/15/13, 12/11/13, 05/16/14, 05/26/15, 05/27/15, 07/25/16), 11/15/16
- Editor-in-Chief, International Tax Planning Journal, Federated Press
- Editor, CCH Income Tax Act (International Tax Provisions)
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, International Fiscal Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, CBA Tax Subsection
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (BC Bar)
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada (ON Bar)
- Former Board Member, Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver