Ian is a corporate taxation partner working primarily out of the firm’s Vancouver office.
Practicing since 1989, Ian has represented clients on numerous corporate tax matters spanning several industry sectors (including mining, forestry, telecommunications, oil & gas, energy, and real estate). Ian has advised on all forms of mergers & acquisitions, internal corporate reorganizations, and cross-border tax structuring. He has also represented clients in the course of numerous tax audits by the Canada Revenue Agency, and has litigated tax cases before the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, the British Columbia Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- McGill University, Bachelor of Science (1981 – 1985); Honors in Psychology
- University of British Columbia, Bachelor of Laws (1985 – 1988); Prize in Corporate Taxation
- Articles, Stikeman Elliott, Toronto, Ontario (1988 – 1989)
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Author of textbook Taxation of Canadian Mining (Carswell) – cited with approval by the Supreme Court of Canada in Daishowa-Marubeni International Ltd. v. The Queen
- Former Editor-in-Chief of the International Tax Planning Journal (Federated Press) and the Resource Taxation Journal (Federated Press)
- Former Adjunct Professor of Corporate Taxation at the Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia
- Regular contributor to tax-related publications and conferences on corporate taxation in Canada
- Member of the Board of Governors of the Canadian Tax Foundation and appointed to the Executive Committee of the Board
- Member of the International Fiscal Association
- Member of the British Columbia Bar and the Ontario Bar