On September 13, 2013 the Department of Finance released significant draft legislative proposals. The attached Quick Update Report outlines the corporate tax-related items in this release, which
- target derivative transactions whose purpose is to convert ordinary income into a capital gain;
- target transactions that economically dispose of property without changing ownership;
- phase out accelerated deductions for the mining industry;
- restructure and expand corporate attribute-trading restrictions; and
- expand existing thin capitalization rules to restrict interest expense for Canadian branches of non-resident corporations.